I love traveling. I also love vacation. I consider them though to be very different things. Travel, to me, is the act of exploring and finding new yummy things to eat you can’t get at home and seeing things you’ve only seen on Instagram or Wikipedia. My husband and I booked tickets for our fall trip just last week – which has gotten me so excited to travel again later this year! However, I do realize that I’ll be sitting on a beach in Mexico, sipping mimosas and reading all the books on earth in just a week. This will be vacation.
Almost a decade ago (say what!?) my hubby and I hit up Puerto Vallarta with his family to explore and travel, but this time we’ll be going to vacation. SO EXCITED!
Like most people, (I assume?) I spend the 3 months leading up to my trip excessively checking the sale section at all my favorite stores to see if there are things I just have to have for my trip. Those amazing boots? Uhh, yes please. The polka dot a-line dress? Perfect for the beach. That wool cloche hat? Always wanted one! Then my husband tells me I’m insane and should stop buying unnecessary things for sitting by the pool. So, pooh pooh on that. This trip I’ll be shopping in my own closet to pull together my necessities for living in a hotel room.
Ten days on the beach for my husband:
- Swim trunks
- T-shirts (5?)
- Underwear, socks, etc.
- SPF 120
Ten day son the beach for me:
- The world
Jkjkjkjk. But for real, here’s my sensible girls guide to packing for a beach vacation:
- Basics: Passport, socks, undies, pjs, you know the boring stuff
- 1 adorable sunhat: look chic and protect your hair from the sun!
- 2 equally adorable swimsuits: Yes, three could be better – but takes up space, based on your activities bring enough so you’ll always have a dry one on hand!
- 1 Pair of flip flops: for flippity floppin’ around the pool / on a boat
- 1 Pair of nice sandals: because duh
- 5 Dresses: Yes, might be excessive, but mix it up. Bring one nice dress to wear out, a few that will be easy to throw on over your swimsuit and go grab lunch and one for travel that you can throw some leggings under for when you get back to the arctic MN.
- 2 Bottoms: I’d recommend, one pair of shorts and one pair of jeans, easy!
- 3-5 Tops: Don’t’ take up much space and you’ll need something to cover your shoulders when you get a bit burnt out from sunbathing (literally)
- Toiletries: Sunscreen of course and some light makeup. But then I always splurge on a little sample kit from Sephora – great opportunity to try some new products and they’re usually travel size!
- Don’t forget your cash: If you exchange before you leave at the bank – don’t! Bring your cash and exchange at the airport or better yet find a bank when you get there. You’ll get the most up to date exchange rate and will avoid the heavy fees your bank charges you.
Tips for editing your finished assortment:
- Think practical, then fashionable. Smart! Right?
- Keep your must haves with you at all times!! Should you have to check your bag, or your checked bag gets lost, you’ll have your necessities with you (and maybe even a fresh pair of grundies!).
- Lay out your items so you can see how it all fits together, think “capsule wardrobe” – it could all go together with everything else!
- Wear your bulkiest items for your flights there and back, saves room for other goodies 🙂
Need help planning a trip? Or is that trip your honeymoon? Reach out to me and I’d love to chat about where you’re going!